Re: Another delivery system

Author:Ken Hagler
Posted:5/18/1999; 9:47:41 AM
Topic:It might be OVER for MP3....

MiniDiscs use lossy compression; it's just a different algorithm.

The MiniDisc's ATRAC compression groups frequencies that people can't tell apart, and removes the "extra" information. I understand early versions of ATRAC weren't so good, but the versions available for the past couple of years are practically impossible to tell from CD. (The only report I've read of someone who could tell the difference was an audiophile with really expensive equipment who listened to the CD and MD versions of the same song with an A/B switch many times.)