Re: Help with 4.2 Migration and News Sites

Author:André Radke
Posted:5/19/1999; 3:33:22 PM
Topic:Help with 4.2 Migration and News Sites

Are the tutorial pages describing discussion, news, and console set-ups current with respect to 6.0?

Yes, that's supposed to be the case. If you have suggestions for improvement, please let me know.

Specifically, the console stuff doesn't seem to be able to get discussion messages posted...

What exactly are you trying to do? Editing the daily news page? Or posting a story? Or something else?

Do you get error messages? If so what exactly do the error messages say?

Did you try posting discussion group messages thru the regular web interface? Does it work?

http://frontier.userland.com/titleSearch$YourFirstDiscussionGroup

Some general things to check:

The console relies on XML-RPC to communicate with the server. Please make sure that user.webserver.responders.RPC2.enabled is set to true on the server.

Also, user.betty.rpcHandlers should contain address objects named nirvanaServer and mainResponder pointing to the mainResponder.rpchandlers table in mainResponder.root.

...and static news pages don't render when new news items appear.

To clarify, when you update the news page, the static page isn't rendered immediately. Rather it is added to a queue of pages. Once every minute, a script renders all pages in that queue.

The script that does this is mainResponder.background.everyMinute. The queue is kept at system.temp.mainresponder.backgroundPagesToBuild.

This requires at least two things to work: config.mainresponder.prefs.flBuildPagesInBackground must be set to true, and user.scheduler.everyMinute must contain an address object pointing to the mainResponder.background.everyMinute script.

If this doesn't help, the next thing to do is to check the scheduler log for error messages. It's either at user.scheduler.log or in the schedulerMonitor sub-table of your daily log GDB.

I've reinstalled Frontier 3 times now, along with the news and console roots and the result is the same each time.

I am pretty sure this is some sort of configuration problem, so you shouldn't bother to reinstall a fourth time. If you can give me some more information, I should be able to point you in the right direction.