Help with 4.2 Migration and News Sites

Author:Chuck Shotton
Posted:5/19/1999; 2:26:27 PM
Topic:Help with 4.2 Migration and News Sites

I've finally decided to move all of my content management from my ancient, creaky Frontier 4.2 set-up on a Mac into 6.0 on Windows 98. As part of this exercise, I want to replace a lot of the news pages that I have to maintain in FileMaker with Frontier-rendered news pages.

I've got two questions that hopefully someone who has done this before can answer.

1. Will I have to change any of the Frontier-specific macros/mark-up in my 4.2 pages for use in the new 6.0 framework? (i.e., can I just copy the tables over from my old root file to my new web site?)

2. Are the tutorial pages describing discussion, news, and console set-ups current with respect to 6.0? Following them doesn't seem to result in a working configuration for me. Specifically, the console stuff doesn't seem to be able to get discussion messages posted and static news pages don't render when new news items appear. It's likely my fault, but I've reinstalled Frontier 3 times now, along with the news and console roots and the result is the same each time.

C.