A case study

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:6/1/1999; 1:43:13 PM
Topic:Scripting News Bulletins via Email

Consider Paul Hardwick's question.

What should I say to him? I know he wants the feature. I have no idea how to give it to him? It's also not on my radar right now. So I do what I often do, I let it sit there, for fear that I'll offend him with a direct answer.

I just don't have the time to write long emotional postings explaining how I feel his pain and how we have a process for recording his request (even though both are true). If I spent time doing that I'd be wasting time that could be spent creating features and fixing bugs.

See how it works? I think people forget that this isn't a monolithic company, here you actually get to converse with the people creating the software. That's good, right? Could you meet us half way by cutting us some slack and giving us the benefit of the doubt?