Microsoft's real threat

Author:--
Posted:7/10/1999; 10:27:54 AM
Topic:Microsoft's real threat

I was reading an article about Gateway's attempt to revive Amiga on smart devices. This and many news about BeOS and Linux's heading towards into cheap PC lead me into thinking that Microsoft's real threat is not from anyone outside, but from themselves. I was looking for a new PC for my first Linux last week and it turned out that, even if I don't like Windows 98 (or in some cases, NT), I can't take it out from most vendor's bundle. The real problem of this is, the OS is actually costing me $90+. It's not a big number to me. Being a computer users who have bought many boxes before, I understand that this is not a significant amount for what it adds to my system. But for people who are looking for a sub $500 PC, and for computer makers who are making these cheap PC, that $90+ is a big obstacle. It takes up 1/5 of the price tag of the machine!