threads and mR (mainresponder)

Author:Thomas A. Creedon
Posted:7/23/1999; 5:04:46 PM
Topic:threads and mR (mainresponder)

Hello all,
Frontier 6
mR (mainresponder)
Mac OS v8.6
latest root updates
I've noticed something odd on my mR server. Usually when someone hits my sites threads are generated to deal with the requests and then go away, as I understand it. You can see them coming and going. With a minimum of 1 thread at all times. All the while the Status Message clock is keeping up pretty well. Lately I've noticed that several threads are reported running and the clock is not advancing. After a while I check when I'm sure no one is hitting the site and the Status Message is not changing.

If I start knocking around looking for answers, the Status Message will update, but is still unchanging (no clock going).

I can see that system.compiler.threads does have more than 1 thread listed. So that probably explains the Status Message saying there is more than 1 thread running. I don't understand why the clock is stopped and why some threads aren't dying.

This part is a bit sketchy. Last time I was looking for an answer to this situation, the Status Message updated and the clock started going.

Of course if I Quit then fire Frontier up again, all is well.

Any ideas what is going on?