Re: Frontier plus idiot me=help.

Author:Dave Polaschek
Posted:7/27/1999; 11:31:02 PM
Topic:Frontier plus idiot me=help.

I need a way to email a street address somewhere and get back the latitude and longitude for the address. I'm thinking that maybe Frontier can get the email and submit a query to mapblast and then parse the resulting page to get the latitude and longitude and email it back to the sender.

I don't see any reason why Frontier couldn't do that. I'm not sure exactly how you'd do it, but I'll leave that to others. I'll cover other resources you might want to consider.

It might be easier to use the US Gazetteer, since you don't have to get a map to get the lat-lon, and you get fairly easy to parse text. It only gives you city-resolution, but that may be good enough.

Another server that might be more useful is The USGS's Geographic Names Information System which lets you search for named "features". Still not addresses, but as with the US Gazetteer, you have fairly well-formed text to parse.

HTH,

-DaveP