The Walkman Turns Twenty

Author:Don W Strickland
Posted:7/29/1999; 8:44:46 PM
Topic:The Walkman Turns Twenty

<http://www.nytimes.com/library/tech/99/07/circuits/articles/29walk.html>

I own a Sony Walkman TPS-L2, serial #215356. Niether the picture nor the article in the NYT do it justice. It is blue & natural aluminum, not plastic, and came in a nice blue leather case. Also, contrary to the NYT article, the orange button enables a built-in microphone, sort of a karaoke feature. I purchased an extra pair of headphones and used the Walkman to replace the stereo that had recently been stolen out of my 2 seater Fiat X1/9. I paid $200 for the Walkman and $50 for the second set of headphones at Foleys in Houston. The sales clerk said they had just received them and I loved it at first sight/listen. It still works, but the headphones are long gone.