On installing Zope and Squishdot

Author:Luke Tymowski
Posted:9/4/1999; 7:44:09 PM
Topic:On installing Zope and Squishdot

I wasn't getting anywhere by reading about it, so I installed Zope and a Slashdot-like plugin, played with it a bit, and am beginning to understand how Zope works.

It's very impressive. It was also nice to see that the same software runs on Linux (Intel and MIPS) and NT, in my case.

Zope plus Squishdot is very fast on my home machine (Linux Celeron 400), office NT server (PIII-500), and office Qube2. It's a bit sluggish on my personal Qube. The Qube2's performance is comparable to the two Intel machines. The Qube2 has 128 MB of RAM, a faster CPU, and a much faster hdd than the Qube (64 MB of RAM). All the fast machines have 128 MB of RAM. The Qube is limited to 64 MB of RAM.

Documentation, however, is a sore point. I got everything working by playing with it. (Here I'm talking about Zope plus Squishdot, not Zope alone.)