Re: Go Mets!

Author:Geoff Allen
Posted:10/18/1999; 1:25:06 PM
Topic:Go Mets!

I went to Shea when I was seven years old, I thought they had built the stadium just for me. I'm not kidding!

Heh. My first major league game was Dodger Stadium, at about age 13 or 14. I noticed the usherettes (I'm pretty sure that was their official title!) had name tags that said "Los Angeles Dodgers, Inc." Inc? Inc? You mean the Dodgers are just a company? What? No way? I was so disillusioned. But I still bought a Dodger Dog and enjoyed the game greatly.

So far I've taken my son to one major league game ("our team" is the Mariners, and they're about a 6 hour drive away, so it's a big deal to make it). You know the Mastercard commercial -- 8 hot dogs, $x; 4 programs, $y; their first big-league ball game, priceless. The look on my son's face when we walked in the tunnel and he saw the field for the first time. Priceless. He just stood and gazed at the field, open mouthed for a long time. And this was at the Kingdome. Can't wait to take him to a real ballpark.

As for continuity, I saw a cartoon a while back that said it well. (Paraphrasing from my faulty memory, and hoping I translate the idea well to narrative.)

Panel 1 -- Caption: Major league baseball players argue about who is the greatest player of all time; players are sitting around, one says "Babe Ruth" another says, "No, Ty Cobb" another says "No, Joe Dimaggio".

Panel 2 -- Caption: NBA players arguing about who is the greatest player of all time. "Me". "No, me." "No, me"