Re: Linux Magazines

Author:Dennis Peterson
Posted:10/18/1999; 1:04:43 PM
Topic:Today's scriptingNews Outline

Well I think my reference is less anecdotal than yours :-)

Certainly there are people who will avoid subscribing because a mag is available online. I'm one of them for some. But this tends to be more than counterbalanced by the increased exposure the magazine gets. Like a previous poster said, it's pretty nice having a physical magazine to carry around, and there are a lot of magazines that I buy at the newstand for that reason, even though I know they are online. Until MIT's digital paper is prevalent, that will continue to be the case I think.

A good compromise that a lot of magazines use is simply waiting a month before putting content online, which seems to work out well.

You are certainly correct that the production issues are not simple. We tended to correct typos even after getting proofs back from the printer, and applying corrections to both print and web versions would be a real pain (to mention just one small aspect of the problem). I'm thinking a publishing package like Framemaker, which exports to XML, combined with some sort of XSL preprocessor, would be the ideal solution...