Re: You Gotta Believe

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:10/19/1999; 8:10:54 AM
Topic:Re: You Gotta Believe

There are others in line to wear the crown, Oracle and Sun being two obvious candidates. It wasn't long ago that IBM was the "800 pound gorilla", speading FUD, stifling innovation, that everyone loved to hate.

Erik, I think the lesson of the Web is that there will never again be an Uber-OS.

We've outgrown the need for a dominant OS. We have our platform, the Internet. Operating systems now can be a market, with products differentiated by where they like to run, how much money they cost, what kinds of services and software are available, whether you like the packaging or not. The web knocked the religion out of the OS situation.

Here on UserLand.Com we run NT, Linux and Mac OS as servers. They all play a role. The web connects them. Pretty simple.