Re: You Gotta Believe

Author:Erik Neu
Posted:10/19/1999; 8:59:49 AM
Topic:Re: You Gotta Believe

No disagreement from this end. Not sure, but I think you may have interpreted my post differently than I intended. (I won't say mis-interpreted, because it may be more the case that I subtly mis-communicated!) My meaning would have been better expressed if I had written: "There are others...who *would* wear the crown" (as in "would like to").

I thought about using Edit This Page to make that that simple change to the subjunctive tense, but that might have made your follow-up post confusing .

I meant only to make the point that, if the Linux camp is "pathologically" intent on having an all-powerful enemy, there will probably always be a candidate available. I think the ability to find an enemy, to blame external forces for one's own shortcomings and problems, is part of the human condition. Especially when there is a strong element of ideology involved.

PS Communications, especially near-instantaneous written communication between people with no established realtionships, is HARD. Even with the Internet and great tools. I think that goes a long way toward explaining the tendency of so many conversations to degenerate into flame-fests.