Re: Go Mets!

Author:David Carter-Tod
Posted:10/19/1999; 10:14:39 AM
Topic:Go Mets!

Back to your initial point about Baseball....Soccer is boring! (just a personal opinion--probably an "american" one).

Actually, I think it might be more accurate to say that american soccer is boring!

Not because of the rules, but because of the lack of passion in the play. In England at least, teams are intricately tied to their local communities, e.g. Brighton (Seagulls!) is and always will be Brighton and Hove Albion no matter how bad they are (and believe me, they're really bad now). The notion that it could be in any city or move is unthinkable.

Also, any team from anywhere can make it to the big time. Over the seasons a team can move from the 4th Division or lower to the Premier division or vice versa (Brighton's not a bad example of both). Or just in a one-off Tranmere Rovers could beat Manchester United in the FA Cup (or whatever they're calling it now).

Every result matters. The move to 3 points for a win was a good thing for on field play, but it doesn't matter so much in the US. Teams will still be around next season. They're not playing for their survival or local pride.

As in baseball, an understanding of the intricacies and strategies makes a qualitative difference. US commentators do a weak job of explaining them.

It's enough to make me as sick as a parrot when I watch soccer here on TV. There's little atmosphere and little intensity.

David