Re: Linux Journal, Slashdot and SOAP...

Author:Ken Kennedy
Posted:10/19/1999; 10:28:36 AM
Topic:Today's scriptingNews Outline

And second, since they're [Linux print mags] still in business, there must be a lot of Linux people who are scared of the web too.

Eh? All that the fact that they're still in business means to me is that they (well, LJ anyway) put some pretty good Linux-related articles in a print mag. Pretty technical, so I get something out of it every month. Stuff I can read on the train to work, or walking home from the train station, anywhere away from the computer. Nothing more than that.

Watching SlashDot debate SOAP was an eye-opener for me. These are not creative opportunistic people. They are scared people. You don't have to agree, this is what I saw.

Oh, come ON, Dave!! *grin* PLEASE don't tell me that you're considering Slashdot posts to be the definitive word from the Linux community! How about this; I'd say you're right, for the most part, the people who post there are not creative, opportunistic people. Those people (and surely you won't disagree that there are quite a few of them who work on Linux), are often too busy doing creative, opportunistic things to post in /. discussion groups. And seldom post hugely inflammatory responses anyway. You're mostly seeing 14-18 year old Linux installing Microsoft-haters that just want to see themselves on /. as the "First Post"er. Failing that, they revert to snide anti-MS comments. On just about any topic; they sure didn't single out SOAP. Just ignore 'em. It's hard to separate the wheat from the chaff on /. sometimes. Fact of life for such a popular site.

But there are actually quite a few complementary comments in that discussion thread RE: SOAP. It's just hard to see them through the flames...but those are simply a fact of Internet life, when you're dealing with an (essentially) unmoderated forum. The radicals are always the loudest. But trust me, Dave, there are LOTS of folks in the Linux "world" that think SOAP is pretty dang cool.