Re: Linux Magazines

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:10/19/1999; 4:15:32 AM
Topic:Today's scriptingNews Outline

Oh geez. I'm still not enlightened. You talk about me and my business model -- that's where the "You know a lot about me" came from. If you're going to continue posting here, it would be great if you filled in your member profile a bit so people have an idea of who you are and what your background is. I often click on the link to your name wondering if you'll introduce yourself. Any reason to hide your ten years of experience in the publishing industry? In what capacity? What pubs? How did they fare in the transition to the web? Did they take your advice? Raise the level of discourse. Just saying I'm wrong is boring, and rejecting my examples is also boring. Think man. (Assuming you are a man, are you? What's your last name?)

Another message said Wired put a delay on articles on their website. I think this is stupid. When I was at Wired I argued against it. The web has its own rhythm. Ultimately I think the founders of Wired learned this lesson the hard way. They wanted a CNET-type valuation but they were running a print magazine. The market said no.

You want to know what I think about the Linux print mags? A couple of things. The publishers are scared of the web. And second, since they're still in business, there must be a lot of Linux people who are scared of the web too.

Watching SlashDot debate SOAP was an eye-opener for me. These are not creative opportunistic people. They are scared people. You don't have to agree, this is what I saw.