Re: Linux Journal, Slashdot and SOAP...

Author:Seth Gordon
Posted:10/19/1999; 11:00:20 AM
Topic:Today's scriptingNews Outline

In any community, there are some people who spout poorly-informed babble to anyone who will listen, and there are some people who actually know what's going on and can explain it to an outsider. If you're a journalist and want to write about that community, part of your job is to identify the people in the second group and not waste time with the people in the first group.

There are individuals on Slashdot who provide useful information about Linux-related issues, without ranting or knee-jerking. For someone who is new to Linux, it's probably easier to find such people on Slashdot than just about anywhere else -- and you can find them discussing these matters with each other, and you can see where they seem to have a consensus. In that sense, I suppose you could treat Slashdot as authoritative.

Christopher B. Browne has a site with a lot of computer-related information, essays, and links, including a sober and well-written Linux page. I don't know if this meets your criteria for a good Linux page, but try it.

Also, the Linux Weekly News puts out a good digest of Linux-related news.