interesting idea at i-drive.

Author:Andrew Wooldridge
Posted:11/5/1999; 10:15:57 AM
Topic:interesting idea at i-drive.

I was cruising around mp3.com and found this interesting link that said something like cross-load to i-drive. What I discovered is that the two sites have come to cooperate in that when you click on the link it tells mp3.com to download the file to your i-drive account - net to net transfer - which is much faster than downloading it and re-uploading it. I wouldnt mention this except this seems like such a cool idea for manila stuff. Imagine going to some science site where you could click to - send to manila or somethign where it knows your id, and it crossloads the file to your manila server - so you can then perhaps do a big batch download later of all the things you've accumulated over time.

Anyway, it was interesting to me, and it looks like they have some kind of open deal where any site can add links to crossload content to i-drive.

Another sort of interesting feature is tha you can take and capture any website and download a copy of it to your own space. I assume it only copies single pages at a time. It's sorta like bookmarks with the touch of having a visual reference to the site - in case the content is very dynamic and you dont want to lose that specific instance of the site....

The website is http://www.i-drive.com