Ancient Geeks

Author:John Jensen
Posted:11/6/1999; 11:41:23 AM
Topic:Ancient Geeks

[edited for typos only]

I guess this is just proof that two witnesses can see the same crime (oops, "finding of fact") differently. Just to hit a few points:

"... it was evident that Netscape didn't have a vision for itself"

Netscape expected to outpace the free browsers and servers and make income from both a part of their bottom line. The dual successes of the free Apache server and the free IE browser caught them by surprise. We can second guess them for not seeing those coming, but it might be a better criticism to say that they couldn't come up with a second vision, than to say they didn't have one to start with.

"Netscape didn't invent the web ..."

Marc Andreesen's rouge implementation of a browser with pictures had more to do the success of the web than this implies. IIRC, Netscape bought that codebase and should get some credit for buying the vision.

"We need Microsoft's operating system less and less every year ..."

I think you, personally, have done a good job of supporting open standards. I'm not so sure of the web market in general. IIS and IE are very entrenched in some markets. As Netscape finally withers and dies, it makes a very dangerous environment for open solutions.

"SOAP ..."

I like SOAP, but it is important to remember that an open transport like SOAP can be used to connect two proprietary pieces (IIS and IE?). When that happens, the openness becomes somewhat academic.

Also, I don't think SOAP is Microsoft's only initiative for Internet (or speaking more broadly, Client-Server) solutions.

Best Wishes,

John