Re: Ancient Geeks

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:11/8/1999; 7:45:02 AM
Topic:Ancient Geeks

Depriving your competitors of air supply is a blunt and concise term for the way this industry works. I think it's the way *all* industries work, it's where PE ratios come from. Brand-name awareness, size of the company, longevity, often win out over innovation and product quality.

I am insider in this industry, have been for many years. I know how it works. All the judge has done is noticed it too. If you want to be fair and consistent, you're going to have to rewrite the rules across the board.

And let's be objective about integrity. I don't think Netscape had very much of that either. If you want to set up the legal system to enforce Netscape's existence, you don't have my vote. Not that I have a vote.

Finally, if you're a user, back up your high principles with your buying behavior. And if you're a developer, make sure you're being as fair to your competitors as you think Microsoft should have been.