Re: JAffiliate

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:12/20/1999; 3:34:14 PM
Topic:Catching the My.UserLand story flow

Josh, first, thank you for taking the initiative with this.

A question and a concern:

1. Please explain why a database isn't needed? What applications do you envision using this for? All the ones I've thought of pretty much require a database.

2. I'd prefer if you didn't read the file every minute. That's an unnecessary load on our server. The file will change sometime between seven and eleven minutes after the hour. If you start reading every minute at seven minutes after the hour and set a flag when a change is recognized you are guaranteed not to miss any updates until the next hourly cycle. Esp since you're distributing the code, it would work better all-around if there weren't a lot of unncessary hits on our server.