Re: JAffiliate

Author:Josh Lucas
Posted:12/20/1999; 4:18:37 PM
Topic:Catching the My.UserLand story flow

Dave -

I'll deal with your concern first. I mis-read both the UserTalk code and the spec and wrongly assumed that there was a connection to the url happening every minute. Obviously, I was wrong and I have updated the released code to reflect that. Now, each minute, the code looks to see what time it is and goes from there.

If anyone has downloaded the code between 3PM PST and now, please download it again and get this fix so we won't kill Dave's servers.

Now onto the question, I'm not saying that a database isn't needed for a full-blown application. I'm saying that for this particular implementation, you don't have to have one since there will just be individual files being dealt with. I'm planning on adding support for databases, both relational and object but I wanted to get this working first.

By only using text files, I can run this on my iBook at home and not have to worry about much. This isn't a solution for anything larger but it made it easier to develop this quickly.

Does that help?

If not, I'll keep trying.

thanks, josh