Re: JAffiliate

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:12/20/1999; 4:52:18 PM
Topic:Catching the My.UserLand story flow

Thanks for addressing the concern. Now to the question.

When you try to sell people on using the affiliate (I know from experience) the first reaction often is "Why do I need it?" What they are really saying is that they want to read the XML files themselves, the ones that the aggregator reads. It's a good question, and to answer it, you have to make *something* easier.

Unless I'm missing something, by putting each channel in its own XML file you are undoing what the aggregator does! Now it's true that the formats are uniform, unlike what our aggregator reads. It has to make sense of two versions of RSS and format, but that doesn't seem like much of a value-add.

Anyway, as long as you don't punish our server (it's a pretty fast server, it can take a lot more traffic) I'm totally in favor of experimentation and learning. Maybe people won't want to NIH your work. We'll find out! ";->"