Re: How to start WAPping

Author:Fredrik Lundh
Posted:12/21/1999; 2:24:38 AM
Topic:How to start WAPping

Ericsson apparently did some kind of an exclusive deal with Microsoft about CE

IIRC, it was labelled as "extensive", not "exclusive" ;-)

Earlier this year, Microsoft bought a Swedish company called SendIt for well over $100 million (and made some people I know very rich...). Among other things, SendIt owned a trivial but important patent: that you can send long messages by splitting them over multiple 160 byte SMS messages (!). More importantly, they also had very good relations with Ericsson, Nokia, and virtually everyone else in the mobile universe.

Anyway, based on the remains of SendIt, Ericsson and Microsoft are now setting up a joint development shop in Stockholm. The goal seems to be to use more standard Internet technology on mobile devices (aka "Microsoft Mobile Internet") -- e.g. supporting HTML as well as WML (aka "Microsoft Mobile Explorer"), using standard Internet mail technology (aka "Microsoft Mobile Exchange", etc.).

And AFAIK, it has nothing to do with Windows CE. From what I've heard, they'll be running the new applications on top of Epoch.