Re: MacBird license draft

Author:Jacob Levy
Posted:12/31/1999; 2:59:19 PM
Topic:MacBird license draft

Well, I personally like the MIT license (http://www.opensource.org/licenses/mit-license.html) because it is the most minimalist of them all. I don't see how you can claim that people who use the MIT license are "total control freaks".

Your license says more than is useful or needed, such as that you won't integrate patches or that people are encouraged to share their improvements. It's of limited use and zero legal impact to say in a license what you're not going to do. And when you remove these non-binding statements, you're essentially left with the MIT license.

There's a big benefit in using a standard license that people can just iconize and refer to in short hand, everyone understanding exactly what the intent is and no confusion. If it were my call (and I am *not* a control freak trying to tell you what to do :) I'd just use the MIT license and be done with it.