Re: MacBird license draft

Author:Grant Rauscher
Posted:12/31/1999; 3:41:25 PM
Topic:MacBird license draft

I think the only dangerous omission is described best on the copyleft page on GNU – you've copyrighted, but not protected others from patenting derivatives, I think.

Most people who feel the need for any type of license, rather than just realeasing as whatever~ware, want to protect the future of the software in some way. Keeping software open allows you to be comfortable releasing it, as it will never come back to you in a situation you've lost control of.

League for Programming Freedom is the most helpful site I know of. There's some discussion of user interface issues, which apply to MacBird and are rarely treated sensitively, imho.

Why aren't UI standards better in browsers already? Whatever happened to the HyperCard niche, right? You're interested in MacBird's potential contributions to these flows, not competitive disruptions of them, even though you don't desire authority in their development.

Not sure how to word this in legalese, but there must be a usage to the effect of fully releasing a project.