Re: MacBird license draft

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:12/31/1999; 4:34:27 PM
Topic:MacBird license draft

I *want* to lose control of this piece of software, for the reasons you state re Hypercard. The niche has a few players, Visual Basic on Windows and RealBasic on the Mac. Personally, I think the Internet should have something similar. I have an interest in seeing this happen, and if it can generate some goodwill for UserLand in the process, even better. Further, if the open source advocates are right, any open source project should be able to quickly swamp a closed source one, so what do we have to worry about? ";->"

One of the things that woke me up on this is that I almost lost the source code to the app a few days ago in a hardware crash. While I thought I *had* lost it, I thought what a shame, all the work I put into this code so many years ago. And then when I tried to build it I realized it had already gone stale, but perhaps not beyond repair.

We totally turned to the web. We're going to do some more UI stuff, mostly with outlining and color, but not in the space that MacBird is in. But it's good stuff, in harmony with what's good about desktop systems. I imagine a MacBird-in-Java would be pretty easy to do too.

Whatever happens, I don't feel like we're risking very much. Really nothing, in the context of the hardware problems I had earlier this week.