Re: Rant

Author:Luke Tymowski
Posted:1/6/2000; 7:33:31 AM
Topic:HTML Renderer in the MacOS

I'm surprised the Open Source leaders aren't complaining about Apple's web lock-in strategy.

Methinks it's because they consider Apple irrelevant or at best amusing. They've got their eyes fixed on Bill, which IMHO is a mistake because if you don't watch where you're going you'll end up in the river.

None of the Linux people seem to get the Web as an application. That is, that a Linux browser needs really strong DHTML support. Designers use the MacOS or Windows. They push the design envelope. Linux sites don't push the envelope. They focus instead on the lowest common denominator, which is nice and friendly. But it doesn't break new ground.

At the same time, the MacOS designers cheat and use Photoshop to come up with spiffo designs, not DHTML.

The Linux community spends an awful lot of time coming up with pretty desktops. And publicising their efforts there.

I don't see them doing the same thing with the Web. And pushing Mozilla hard so it's stable and useable quickly. Mozilla is getting there, but slowly. QQ looks pretty good in Mozilla, ok in Netscape (both under Linux). But Mozilla still crashes too often.