Re: Now it makes more sense

Author:Robert Cassidy
Posted:1/7/2000; 9:25:58 PM
Topic:Now it makes more sense

I still don't think you are getting it.

My mom could turn on her computer one day, and since she has an always-on DLS connection, her iDisk could automatically mount at startup. The alias would simply appear on her desktop at startup (or whenever the user mounts their iDisk).

She double-clicks the alias like any other application or file and her system updates, or the new software installs, or whatever. It can even mount a _different_ read-only volume if need be.

It's the thing that MS fought in court for for so many years - control over the desktop. But Apple just got it, got me to seek it out, and they could plop things on there *at any time*. (Of course, they don't do this now, I'm just saying that they could put in a check somewhere so that I could give them permission to do this)

You keep referring to downloading - there is none. There is no looking for a thing. It just shows up - like magic...

iDisk is just a gigantic file server that Apple hosts that the user mounts on demand. It retains all of the features and functionality of any other Appleshare volume (including aliases and having things sit on your desktop). There is no web browser involved in this process anywhere. It doesn't even need to be installed on your computer.