Re: Now it makes more sense

Author:Jeff A. Campbell
Posted:1/9/2000; 4:32:31 AM
Topic:Now it makes more sense

Right.

The whole 'web view' fad is getting a little bit old. The web itself is great at what it is meant to do, but I think turning the desktop as we know it into a giant web page is taking things just a little bit too far. I've never been a fan of applying a piece of good technology in an area where it really isn't meant to go (Java suffered from this as well).

What I would like to see is for integration of 'net resources in the MacOS. I'd like to be able to mount FTP servers as if they were drives, with absolutely no difference in functionality. Apple has been moving in this direction, and would do well to continue. Don't be distracted by the marketing glitz of inline web pages, focus on managing online resources as if they are part of the OS. Allow me to browse for peoples' contact information as if they were files on my drive. Let me save search results in a Finder window, which I can sort and play with as if they were files. These things fit well with the GUI paradigm of the MacOS, but the web does not. The web is just another way to look for things, which works well in some cases, but not as part of the OS. Leave that to the web browsers where it works best. Don't waste my time with ad banners and space-wasting 'browser views'.

That's just my opinion, though. I could be wrong. :>

PS: As for Apple's iTools, I think they're okay for who they are targetted at. I like the free POP3 accounts and iDisk, but the rest is more or less fluff. I don't see any computer or OS manufacturers doing any better, though.