Specs & Multi-Page Documents

Author:Mike Gauland
Posted:1/17/2000; 6:29:32 AM
Topic:Specs & Multi-Page Documents

One of the great advantages of distributing material over the web (and particularly easy if you've got a good scripting system behind you) is the ability to provide the same information in several different formats. Viewing a spec, manual, or other document as a single HTML file does have advantages, but can be a real nuisance if you've got a slow connection. I like the approach GNU takes with their manuals, such as emacs (at http://www.gnu.org/manual/emacs-20.3/emacs.html). You can get the manual as a single HTML document, individual chapters in HTML, each node as a separate page, or straight ASCII, PostScript, etc.

At work, I usually get the whole thing at once, but at home, the one node per page is far more usuable.

By the way, anyone know of a good, cheap way to get a fast connection, that doesn't involve cable, or being close to a POTS switch?

--Mike Gauland