Re: Ann: FrontierChat 01.a

Author:Phil Wolff
Posted:1/20/2000; 1:06:39 PM
Topic:Ann: FrontierChat 01.a

That's what I meant, if not what I said. I've always thought of XML-RPC as a peer-to-peer tool. So this is elevating the chat client to become a peer of the chat server. Again, power to the people.

There was a brief time a few years ago when the Microsoft and Netscape model was to put a web server on every desktop. This lets you use a FrontPage-like tool to create and test your web site and everyone would have one. If you're on a LAN, peer-to-peer service reduces network traffic since consumers of your local work product are likely nearby or at least their traffic can be well managed. I don't quite recall when they let this idea die, but with it they lost out on a lot of uses for desktop-http; XML-RPC, software distribution, document workflow, and "desktop management" among them.

- phil [http://dijest.com/]