Ann: FrontierChat 01.a

Author:Tom Fuerstner
Posted:1/20/2000; 7:15:23 AM
Topic:Ann: FrontierChat 01.a

Hi,

Arne Graesser who is codeveloping Frontier-applications togeher with Christoph Pingel and me at the Center for Art and Media in Karlsruhe (Germany) implemented this beautiful piece of Fronier-code. He is really using UserTalk in a very innovative fashion. So read what he has to say about his FrontierChat and then enjoy it.

yours remotely, Tom Fuerstner

How it works : I used the session support suite of Samuel Reynolds. This suite makes it possible to give each user a sessionID , which will be stored in user.session.sessions. Read more about this at : http://www.spinwardstars.com/frontier/suites/session.html

My Goal was , to build a chatsystem which is totally embedded and hosted by UserlandFrontier. So far , i arrived at a point ,to host a chat for different users in different chatrooms. The advance for Frontier is , to make live conversation possible , without using external tools.

The big advantage of this system is , that the only thing the user needs is his(her) webbrowser. This offers the next huge possibility: U can allow the user to use HTML-TAGS as a tool for this chat. At the moment , i only use this to change the user-color.

Until now , i didn't arrive to test the system under huge traffic. The system works really intelligent , meaning all the data that is necessary to identify the user is taken out of the userdata , stored with the sessionID , and rendered live with every frame and every page. This makes it easy to change the users preferences , cause all u have to do is change the userdata using his sessionID.

I have to do some sourcecode commentation and correction, to share it with u , but that might take a little while. Until then , it would be a great help for me to have some of u testing around a little bit . The URL is : http://arne.zkm.de/netchat Critics and suggestions are as welcome ask questions on the tool.

My big hope is , that somebody will find a way , to parse the text to the browser continously without using frame-refreshing (and without using external software).I didn't arrive yet to get the mainresponder doing that for me.