Re: Linux progress?

Author:Brent Simmons
Posted:1/27/2000; 10:48:03 AM
Topic:Linux progress?

whither Linux?

We're still early in the process, and we're working on lots of other things too.

But the early results are very encouraging. Frontier running under WINE can serve a Manila site -- which means lots of layers below Manila are working. mainResponder, the webserver framework, the built-in HTTP server, the website framework, XML verbs, low-level verbs like string, address, and file verbs. It's pretty amazing.

But there are things that still cause crashes: outline rendering is the big one we've found so far. I just found another chunk of code in manilaSuite.filters.firstFilter that can cause a crash: I'm working on narrowing down exactly which line of code is responsible.

It's a process, and we have to go step-by-step. At some point we plan to compile Frontier with the WINE libraries and build a Linux binary, but we're not there yet.

WebEditServer totally works, by the way, which is also encouraging -- it means that XML-RPC works.