Robust Hyperlinks

Author:Matt Jadud
Posted:3/2/2000; 1:28:43 PM
Topic:Robust Hyperlinks

http://http.cs.berkeley.edu/~phelps/Robust/robust.html

Couple of kids out at Berkeley have cobbled together a way to robustly refer to moved webpages on the WWW. It seems to scale a little bit (reports of Inktomi running 1 billion pages with their approach), and it is "reverse compatible" with your current HREF schemes.

GPL Java provided. Found on Slashdot.

This is something that could (I think) be fairly easily implemented in Frontier/Manila; it could either be tied in with the search engine, or run as a page filter. From their homepage:

If you have software or other work related to Robust Hyperlinks and Robust Locations to share, we're happy to link to them here. If you have a web browser, web authoring tool, or other web-related software, I hope you support Robust Hyperlinks. Send announcements to phelps@cs.berkeley.edu.

--M

Regardless, its cool stuff that I'm sure this DG will dig on.