Re: Request for help: frontier-side xul.

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:3/19/2000; 11:10:24 AM
Topic:Request for help: frontier-side xul.

If I had two solid weeks I could do it, totally XMLize MacBird. Of course I don't have that kind of time, busy working on new web apps. But it's not a hard job. The code is really well structured for this kind of transition. I would forget about the binary format, throw it away, go XUL in every way possible. Chuck Shotton emailed me a few weeks ago saying he was working on XMLizing MacBird. I sent him a pointer to this msg.

BTW, this work would be a hedge against a slow feature-fill for Mac Mozilla. I read an article about this but didn't point to it. But it got me thinking that MacBird is already really tuned up for the Mac, and I also really want net UIs to get a lot more functional and pretty. Imagine Manila Express with a very rich Mac-standard UI. Also think about the Prefs panels and how they might be XULized and rendered thru MacBird. It would be very nice. Not too hard to do either!

BTW, I use NT, but I use it like a Mac user would. It would be quite a homecoming for me!