Re: A call for universal registration.

Author:Paul Snively

Phil Wolff wrote:

Spending 10-20 minutes registering each time you need to shop or join a conversation? How much time do you spend paying at a fast food joint? 15 seconds?

This is a real problem. The answer is the creation of infomediaries; firms to whom you entrust your data and who put it use for you.

I'm not at all sure I agree with this conclusion; centralizing control of such personal information seems like an excruciatingly bad idea.

This is one area where open research on open systems to address the issue, with open implementations that anyone can set up services to support, whether for a (closed) local group or publicly, seems to be a good idea.

One possibly good starting point can be found at <http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~keynote/>.