Re: Is there or isn't there a "Digital Divide"?

Author:Karl Martino
Posted:4/17/2000; 8:21:33 PM
Topic:Is there or isn't there a "Digital Divide"?

Beautiful post and well said.

There is a divide in this nation. Between the 'haves' and the 'have-nots'. Believe me when I say it's real. Somehow I've crossed over.

I also believe, however, that all the attention being paid to the 'digital divide' only benefits those who are already on the 'have' side. The corporations that are taking the sales orders and are getting another avenue to sell things through.

"Putting a computer in every classroom is like putting an electric power plant in every home." David Shenk, "Data Smog".

After saying all that, it must be said, that the state of public education in my part of the country stinks. Proper instruction on technology is certainly lacking, but so are the three R's. What's the use of teaching a kid how to move a mouse when he can't read the text on the screen?