Re: Is there or isn't there a "Digital Divide"?

Author:Karl Martino
Posted:4/18/2000; 3:52:55 AM
Topic:Is there or isn't there a "Digital Divide"?

For the average American family, the Internet is a TV alternative, with enhanced Instant-Gratification(tm) facilities for activities they were going to do anyway. If I wasn't in a technology field, the Internet would offer me nothing but a little novelty and entertainment.

This is largely true, but could something be done to change that? If people wanted to attack to 'Digital Divide', I believe that they should do so by providing content, that can actually be used to help empower people.

The report: Online Content for Low-Income and Underserved Americans: The Digital Divide’s New Frontier examines and makes recommendations about Internet content for underserved Americans.

I am personally greatful for Seasame Street and PBS... is there an equivalent for the web?