Re: On Censorship

Author:Eric Soroos
Posted:4/17/2000; 10:58:41 PM
Topic:On Censorship

One of my friends was sued by Godfrey. The suit was brought in England.

As far as I know, my friend has never set foot in England. The posts in question were made from a US location to usenet. In my opinion, they were pretty typical usenet flamage. There was a summary judgement against him, and a fine of something like 50k pounds (hazy memory, and this was a few years ago) for defaming this Godfrey's reputation. At last contact, my friend is pretty much barred from entering England unless he pays the judgement, which he has no intention of doing.

From the public usenet archives, I pretty much concluded that Godfrey is shining example of the adage: "The only person on usenet who can defame you is yourself." Godfrey has made it something of a career saying completey outragous things on usenet and then suing people who respond.

I write these words from the relative sanity of the US.

eric