AOL and Censorship

Author:Adam Farstrup
Posted:4/18/2000; 9:41:58 AM
Topic:AOL and Censorship

We've all heard stories in the past about AOL and censorship. The one that comes most readily to mind is several years ago AOL installed a mail filter which blocked any e-mail containing the word breast. It turns out several breast cancer orginizations were using AOL and now found many of their e-mail messages blocked, talk about your unintended consiquences.

Now comes a report that AOL is censoring stock discussion groups which make any negative references to AOL or Microsoft. I have no verification of this as I haven't used AOL in about 5 years but it sounds like their modus operendi.

Adam