Simple Gifts

Author:Richard Blumberg
Posted:4/26/2000; 8:33:45 AM
Topic:Simple Gifts

Dave writes, regarding points of view: "Awakening happens when we consider the validity of other povs". In connection with a totally different project, I recently re-acquainted myself with the old Shaker hymn "Simple Gifts", perhaps the loveliest single song in the American heritage; its words are appropriate to this discussion:

‘Tis a gift to be simple, ‘tis a gift to be free,
‘Tis a gift to come down where we ought to be.
And when we find ourselves in the place just right,
It will be in the valley of love and delight.

When true simplicity is gained,
To bow and to bend we will not be ashamed.
To turn, to turn, will be our delight,
‘Til by turning, turning, we come round right.

We are still turning; still digging; still trying to find that simplicity that accomodates the sweet spot in every pov.