Re: The nonsense of removing IE

Author:Peter Wilkinson

What you describe as tie the browser into the network services is surely the domain of a content provider and not a software producer. Sure there is some overlap in MS but what you are describing can already be built by anyone who chooses, it is not some far off opportunity. If they (yahoo, ebay) choose they can do it today. A huge amount of customisation and extension of the browser is available through a whole series of API's that get you into the browser component. This is exactly what happens inside MS Money for example. Again this comes down to what I believe is people finding a regulatory resolution to something that is purely a technical issue. Are they prepared to do it? To make use of the tools that exist today, to think alot and do the hard work.

I find it hard to believe that browsers are stagnating. I find very few sites/web apps that go anywhere near pushing the capabilities that currently exist in browsers. More often than not a change of mindset is needed rather than any dramatic additions to the browsers capabilities. As standards mature, HTML, XML, XML-RPC, SOAP etc. the natural progression is for these to be added into the browser. Remember the browser in any case is just a container, even more so if see just the rendering component as doing all the hard work.

I guess I should ask the question, What is missing from browsers that is such a problem???