What would be your proposed final judgement?

Author:David Valentine

Let's try a different tack on this subject. Rather than whining about the government proposal, what would your proposal be?

Rather than argue about what judgements are correct, right and wrong, assume that the interpretations of the judge are correct (or mostly correct).

If I was MS I would not spend 20 pages arguing about how wrong the previous interpretations were. The findings of fact will be nearly impossible to over turn. And the findings of law can be argued, so they may be able to get some things overturned.

MS needs to come up with a plan that provides solutions to findings of law. Basically, they need independent remedies that address each of the findings of law, so that if some finding of law is found to be wrong, then the remedy can be rolled back.

What would be the proposed solutions to MS Abuse of Monopoly?

I personally think the split off of the applications division is a good thing. Rather than releying on third parties to develop compatible with MS solutions, MS apps could develop them itself.
I would let the browser stand in the OS, and would make one mandate. Standards compatibility with internet standards

And the other one would be a law that would apply to all tech companies equally. Consumers vaporware protection act. No preannouncing products til 120 days before shippment. (non-disclosure ok). Penalty is one month of marketing costs average over the six months to a year following the devlivery of the product, for every two months late, or 5% of income for the first year, whichever is greater.