Re: The nonsense of removing IE

Author:Peter Wilkinson

I agree completely that the browser world has a way to go. However, I don't think that there is ever going to be position where all standards are supported by all browsers. What we will see is some supporting version 6 and some version 7 and some a mix of the 2 (pick any one of the standards). Should that be controlled by regulation??? Of course not.

How could you justify forcing all browser makers to support all standards choosen as the core, as it makes no sense that IE becomes the only browser support all these standards??? Someone would have to create a list of the standards and versions. What is that list??? How are new standards added? I agree with you in that I have doubts this could ever work.

I think the comment on IE5.5 is a little harsh. It has better standards support than any shipping browser, and is a hell of a lot more stable than the pre-alpha/alpha/no-way-its-beta browser that Mozilla has got. What will happen with IE 6 with regards to standards??? My guess is that the updated rendering code from IE 5 for the Mac, which is getting excellent reviews for its standards support, will be the baseline for the next Windows version. I don't think they are replacing adherance to standards, just delivering incrementaly. To me that isn't a problem.

As apps develop, real apps not just web sites, is it unreasonable to ask for a certain set of technologies as the minimum requirements. This happens now with Frontier's Pike, you need a windows or mac machine as the client. As time goes on the set of requirements may change as technology matures, this is the way of the world. Not really an issue if we accept that the world is always going to work this way.