Re: Impractical.

Author:William Crim
Posted:4/30/2000; 3:23:58 PM
Topic:Workgroup scanner

The idea of a networked scanner has been tried before, but it failed.

I remember a long time ago there being a scanner that had AppleTalk on it so you could do workgroup scanning. I assume they didn't sell very many of them, because there would be scanners out there with networking if there was a market.

It is totally impractical to have a networked scanner. Having a networked scanner is about as practical as having a networked toilet. In both cases you have to walk to the networked device to drop off your load. :-) Also if you share, how can someone else know if you are done with the crap or not.

If you want the scanner at your desk, then it makes no sense for a scanner to have a hard disk, memory, processor, network connection, when your computer has perfectly servicable substitutes available. Scanning is easy, which is why scanners cost less than $200. Storing, adjusting, reduction, color correction, dithering, expansion, processing, transmission, and conversion are hard, which is why a computer costs $2,000.