Re: The beginning of the Great Web Shakeout?

Author:David Carter-Tod
Posted:5/1/2000; 10:48:35 AM
Topic:The beginning of the Great Web Shakeout?

Please explain step by step what's going on?

Excite had/has an affiliate program (http://affiliate.excite.com/) where you could sign up for custom news feeds. As I understood it, the underlying feed was supplied by Smartage, certainly the click counting, credits toward banner ads, etc. In general it seems to have been managed and maintained by Smartage.

My original message contains about as much as I know about what's now happening.

The full text of the message I received is this:

Dear Member,

We're very sorry to announce that our Excite Affiliate Network has been discontinued. Excite content will no longer be updated and served to your site, and it is important to remove the Excite HTML from your website within the next 5 days to facilitate this change. We also recommend that you visit your site soon, in case you are already experiencing difficulties with content delivery from Excite. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Some EAN members have earned credits in the SmartClicks banner exchange for displaying Excite content on their site. It is necessary that you transfer these credits to an apporpriate SmartClicks account before June 31, 2000 or your credits will be lost. Since all EAN members are also members of SmartAge.com, you will always have access to the SmartAge.com Corner Office to view SmartClicks reports and change settings. To be sure that you take advantage of your earned credits go to http://www.smartage.com/corneroffice/ and login using your EAN username and password. From there click on the "Excite Award Center" tab and follow the instructions. Again, this tab will be removed on June 31, 2000 and your credits will no longer be available.

We plan to replace this content tool in the future and will contact you as soon as we do. But in the meantime, we'd like to suggest two new ways of driving traffic to your site: Email Newsletter Management and Link-to-Me. Our Email Newsletter Management service lets visitors sign up for a newsletter from your site and then delivers it to them for free. Link-to-Me connects you to websites that will deliver visitors to your website.

SmartAge values your membership and hopes that you'll take advantage of our many (and growing) services to promote and enhance your site.

Sincerely,

David