Re: Firewalls, Hooray

Author:William Crim

Yes Dave I am a sysadmin, and have been one for a number of years, in addition to being a programmer. I am getting offended on my behalf and on behalf of sysadmins who run firewalls for very good reasons, and not for monitoring what my users do with their computers.

The entire feel of the text was that Big Brother was trying to keep Joe user in line, and that that is why we big bad admins put up firewalls. Note I said "feel". No single line of text conveys the point, but taken as a whole, and in the context of recent and past discussions, it was annoying.

You also don't state anywhere that because of the way Pike's communication is structured, there is a chance Pike will NEVER work on the user's network. NAT is very common, but you ignore it. The users are left with the impression that it is because of their bad sysadmin, not your program. I know this from years of experience Dave, I am not just being picky.

Pike's inability to pass through a firewall is because of the fact that Pike is using 2 one-way protocols rather than a single two-way protocol. Pike is a Server-to-PseudoServer app that could work just fine behind a firewall if it was client-to-server, as its function would suggest.