Re: Open services talk

Author:Ken MacLeod
Posted:5/11/2000; 8:27:18 AM
Topic:Open services talk

Allow arbitrary ETP users to upload source to run on the ETP server? Is that safe? I typically wouldn't think so.

I've recently been evangelizing a safer alternative to RPCs: using data transfer instead instead of exposing interfaces.

One of the basic ideas is to treat the server more like a database or XML storage server, where your "application" is defined as the structure in the database or the schemas (formal or informal) of your XML and URLs to access them.

There's a common programming style called "Model, View, Controller" that uses this technique well, the "model" is stored on the server and clients act as the viewers and controllers. "Server side stuff", actions you would normally run directly on a traditional application server can now be offloaded to other hosts, where they are not directly in harm's way.