Re: Some background on Microsoft vs. Slashdot

Author:David Valentine
Posted:5/11/2000; 1:28:21 PM
Topic:Some background on Microsoft vs. Slashdot

Humm, MS no longer does the BOGU?

MS can make it's stuff fully unix compatible, and intergrated into it's inactive directory services (Bill's Tuesday Keynote),

but, a publically available "trade secret" can prevent to development of a windows2000 compatible PDC that runs on unix.

They may not be BOGU'ing their developers anymore, but they sure seem to be BOGU'ing the customers, lately (here, buy a windows 2000 server as your PDC, it's the virus vendors fault, and people should just know not to open an executable).

Anyone point out that that the "trade secret" goes directly against the Bill's article in Time: http://www.time.com/time/magazine/articles/0,3266,44557,00.html

The DOJ scheme permanently prohibits any further improvements to the Internet software in Windows. It would mean no improvements in browser technology and no support for new standards or technologies that would otherwise have helped protect your privacy or the safety of your children online

Translation: Don't worry about standards, we will screw them up on our own.

I love this line from the salon article, too.

"If I were a Microsoft public relations person, I would probably be sobbing on a desk right now," says Miller.

"Microsoft has no comment at this time," said a Microsoft public relations spokesperson.

If MS gets a delay, and new evidentury hearings, they are really really really screwed. They just keep on flaming the fire.